Homecoming week happenings

Senior Kayla Busby stands with her large mum.

Alissa Stehle, Staff Writer

Homecoming King and Queen stand together.
Junior Alexander Rubendall shows off his decked out in camo self.

Dressing up and seeing what everyone pulled out of their closet and threw on for the day is just one of the many fun activities that homecoming week brings. There are the great, intricate mums, each grade competing for the best-decorated hall, the big exciting football game and the suspense of finding out the homecoming king and queen.

“I feel like the most exciting thing about homecoming week is feeling the extra energy coming off the crowd during half time,” senior Amada Guardiola said.

Throughout the week, there are different themes for each day. This year, there was: ‘Merica Monday, where students dressed up in red, white and blue attire and Tropical Tuesday, where students dressed up in floral shirts, leis and grass skirts.

“My favorite day was Tropical Tuesday,” sophomore Aaron Freas said. “I like the tropics in general, and I got to wear laid back clothes that were comfy.”

After Monday and Tuesday had passed, Where are you Wednesday came along. For this day, students decked out in their best camouflage outfit. Next was Throwback to the 60’s Thursday and finally extreme spirit Friday, where could wear their mums and favorite spirit shirt.

“For Where are you Wednesday, I dressed up in a full ghillie suit,” junior Alexander Rubendall said. “I have it for hunting purposes, and it was perfect attire for the day.”

Another thing that students look forward to are the mums that their parents, friends or significant others give to them. Since mums are mainly a Texas-only tradition, it makes homecoming more unique and festive.

“This year my dad asked the mum maker to go all out since it’s my senior year,” senior Kayla Busby said. “It was so big that I had to wear it around my neck, and it even had lights incorporated throughout all the ribbon.”

On the Wednesday of homecoming week, each grade level competes against each other to see who can decorate the best hall. This year, the hall decorating winner was the senior class. Their theme was inspired by the sitcom “Friends.”

“Since our senior shirts are ‘Friends’ themed, I felt like a ‘Friends’ themed hallway would go right along with it,” senior class president Preslee Quisenberry said. “The hallway turned out better than I imagined it would.”

Finally, the Friday night football game arrived. The homecoming court is introduced and the king and queen are announced. Each class has two representatives, except the senior class. This year’s class representatives were: freshmen Darian Alvarez and Brady Hackebeil, sophomores Brianna Bowyer and Zachary Alvarez and juniors Sydnie Harrell and Joseph Hernandez.

“I didn’t expect to be nominated for the junior class representative,” Hernandez said. “I was really surprised when I found out, but I’m honored to have been able to be a representative with Sydnie.”

The girl senior court included: Lorena Chavera, Preslee Quisenberry, Saily Zentino-Perez and Alissa Stehle. The boy senior court included: Alexander Herrera, Chad Lawson, Rafael Rios and Andrew Zapata. The homecoming queen was Saily Zentino-Perez and the homecoming king was Rafael Rios.

“Being voted queen meant the world to me,” Sanchez said. “It felt great to make a mark in Devine history, and I couldn’t have been more honored to represent my class and school.”

Not only was the week eventful, but this year’s halftime show included performances from both school’s bands, the 50 year reunion of the 1968 high school class, recognition of the 1959 varsity boys basketball team who were State Tournament Qualifiers and the 1987 and 1988 Volleyball State Champions.

“It was really meaningful that I got to recognize my mom and her team for winning state back to back,” sophomore Megan Runyan said. “I love the fact that I’m the daughter of a state champion.”

At last, the game starts. The stands fill up with cheering fans and the Warhorses go to battle on the field. Unfortunately, the Warhorses lost by one point to Central Catholic. Even though they lost, they played their hearts out and never gave up.

“Our game against Central Catholic was the most emotionally charged and energetic game we’ve played so far,” senior quarterback Chad Lawson said. “Everyone of us gave it our all every second and it was unfortunate to come up short of winning the game.”