Seniors on fire

Sydnie Harrell, Staff Writer

The DHS and 2019 letters and numbers burn.
The band plays at the pep rally.

For the first time in five years, the homecoming pep rally was outside and the traditional DHS letters and graduation year were set on fire.

“I’m excited that we were the first class in five years to burn the letters,” senior Brayden Harrell said. “I’m glad we got to experience an outdoor homecoming pep rally at least once.”

The seniors used to wrap the letters in string lights for the indoor pep rally. This year, they went to the school the Sunday before to wrap them in flammable materials.

“Our class wrapped the letters and numbers in t-shirts and burlap,” senior Karli Geyer said. “It took a lot of work, but was definitely worth it in the end.”

For the cheerleaders, the outdoor homecoming pep rally required more preparation than normal.

“As cheer captain, I had to pick the themes for homecoming week and plan the pep rally,” senior Tayler Rice said. “Because it was outside for the first time in five years, I had to make sure we were all prepared by practicing until everything was perfect.”

The cheerleaders stood on a trailer near the burning letters to cheer to the students and community at the pep rally.

“It was like a giant wake-up call,” Rice said. “Everyone seemed to be really into it the whole time.”

This was the first outdoor pep rally most of the students had the chance to experience.

“This was the best pep rally I’ve ever been to,” junior Destiny Moralez said. “I hope next year’s homecoming pep rally will be outside too.”