Chesney chooses

Alissa Stehle, Staff Writer

Choosing to continue her academic and volleyball career, senior Chesney Friesenhahn recently signed to Midland College on Fri, April 6. Her family, coaches and many friends supported her when she signed.

“Finally committing to play was a relief,” Friesenhahn said. “It was a hard decision and I’m happy that I finally chose.”

The recruiting process is very stressful, but once a school stands out compared to the others, it sticks. Midland’s campus and coaches drew Friesenhahn’s eye closer and made her decision easier to choose where she wanted to commit.

“Overall I looked at five colleges,” Friesenhahn said. “Midland just felt right and the coaches made feel at home.”

During the process, Friesenhahn sat and talked to her parents and listed the pros and cons of the schools she visited. Her parents have had her back with everything that she has accomplished.

“My parents have always been very supportive of me,” Friesenhahn said. “They’ve always let me try whatever sport related thing I wanted to try and they have given their all since I was a little kid till now.”

She is continuing her volleyball career because of her love for the sport. Friesenhahn has always known that volleyball is her favorite sport, and she loves the exciting feeling it gives her when she’s playing.

“Volleyball just makes me happy,” Friesenhahn said. “But it’s not about the scholarship, it’s the love for the game.”

Not only did her love for the sport motivate her to continue playing volleyball, but also because her family’s tremendous support reassured her that she was making the right decision.

“Seeing Chesney commit to play volleyball at Midland College was validation that all of her hard work playing volleyball for club and high school is paying off,” mother Angie Friesenhahn said. “Her father and I are extremely proud of her drive and determination to pursue playing at the next level.”

Continuing her career has made her parents, fellow teammates and coaches tremendously proud of her. Her last high school volleyball season, she was awarded TAVC Pre-Season team, All Region Team and academic all state.

“I was excited when I found out that she committed to play for Midland,” Head Volleyball Coach Leigh Anne McIver said. “She was always so upbeat at practice and encouraged everyone to do their best, and I’m just proud that she got what her eye has been set on for a long time.”