Brooke to State

Sydney Rendon, Paige Williamson, Staff Writer

Freshman Brooke Runyan qualified for state on Monday, October 23. Brooke will be running in the state meet on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2017. In Round rock, Texas in old settlers park, at 2:40 pm. Brooke was the fifth qualifying individual and best freshman at the regional meet. She set a personal best by 5 seconds with a 12.29.

“It was exciting to experience regionals and all the tough competition from the Bandera girls that won state last year and to know I’m going to state,” Runyan said.

They will send her off on Friday, Nov. 3 after the wake up call. This will hopefully help motivate her before the big meet. She has been working hard to prepare for the state meet.

“The practices are more intense than before and I am aiming to get a sub 12,” Runyan said. “That way by my senior year I will hopefully be running a low 11.”

Brooke has been running for 3 years now since she was in the seventh grade. She started running as soon as she could. Even though it is not a very long career, it is a very successful one.

“She works really hard all of the time. She’s an overachiever,” Coach Vay said. “She has mastered every workout at 12 pace flat.”

Her family is a big support they and try to make all the meets they can. Her two siblings play a huge part in that role. They love to see her run.

“I was happy and excited for her because she’s been working hard,” Megan Runyan said. “She deserves it.”