The student news site of Devine High School

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

Sights, sounds of coming home; Brogdon crowned homecoming queen

Homecoming+Court+with+their+fathers%3A+Elyse+Espinoza+%28freshman%29%2C+Corinna+Casas+%28senior%29%2C+Wisper+Nuyttens+%28senior%29%2C+Tirzah+Brogdon+%28senior%29%2C+Virginia+Delgado+%28senior%29%2C+Josephine+Guzman+%28sophomore%29%2C+Victoria+M.+Hernandez+%28junior%29.+
Homecoming Court with their fathers: Elyse Espinoza (freshman), Corinna Casas (senior), Wisper Nuyttens (senior), Tirzah Brogdon (senior), Virginia Delgado (senior), Josephine Guzman (sophomore), Victoria M. Hernandez (junior).

The smell of freshly cut grass, the sounds of family and friends cheering, and the sight of last year’s queen crowning the DHS 2012 Homecoming Queen. These are all familiar to senior Tirzah Brodgon; the 2012-2013 Homecoming Queen.

Homecoming can mean many different things to each person: spirit, pride or tradition. All of these aspects mean a lot to Tirzah.

In addition, being chosen to represent the school as a senior can be exciting. Tirzah was shocked when she found out that her peers had chosen her to be their homecoming queen.

Homecoming Queen Tirzah Brogdon and her father.

“I was shocked and very honored that my peers voted for me,” Tirzah said. “It was very exciting to represent my school and community.”

Spirit Week is a time for students to show how much pride and school spirit they have.

“I had a lot of fun decorating our Rock Of Ages hallway and I realized I should have been born in the 80’s,” senior Sadie Summerlin said.

”I love seeing all the decorated hallways and everyone dressing up to show how much they support our class.”

Homecoming means exactly what it implies; coming home. This is when the boys come home and play a game on their home turf. Some people get very excited for homecoming every year; from buying extravagant mums to dressing up in the most spirited costumes. All week students dressed up for Nerd Day, Neon Day, Hillbilly Day and Spirit Day. In addition to all the homecoming fun, students were assigned hallways to decorate; the students used this as a way to express their inner school spirit.

“I dressed up the most on neon day,” sophomore Josephine Guzman said. “I loved how almost everyone dressed up in something neon, it was my favorite day during Spirit Week.”

Homecoming is a combination of watching a football game, the coronation of the homecoming queen and expressing school spirit.