Finding their game

Arabians practice, play hard during upcoming district season

The Varsity team celebrates after they win a point.

Brianna Bowyer, Staff Writer

Senior Sierra Pompa prepares herself to serve.
Junior Gabby Rodriguez serves.

With district starting, the Arabians have learned how to work together to be the best and further the team in competition.

“We’ve been working hard during practice and fixing all the little mistakes to get ready for district,” senior Sierra Pompa said.

Throughout every practice and game, the seniors have to take responsibility and be leaders on the court.

“Having more experience, the seniors take on the roll of helping underclassmen through practices and games,” Head Coach Leigh Anne McIver said.

With specific positions they each need to perform, the girls work in practice to better themselves in each of their skills.

“I’m working very hard on my setting and volleyball skills, but this season has been a once in a lifetime opportunity so far,” freshman Macey Hein said.

While the team works hard to better themselves, they also have fun building each other up on the court.

“We motivate each other to stay positive and work as a team,” junior Gabriella Rodriguez said. “We try to limit our errors and have fun on the court.”

Most recently, they took on the Hondo Owls and won in three sets with a final score of 25 to 17.

“Practicing for our Hondo game was different from practicing for our other games,” sophomore Megan Runyan said. “We were really focused on coming out with the win.”

With Hondo being one of Devine’s biggest rivals, the community came and showed a lot of support.

“It was great to win against Hondo,” sophomore Madison Pike said. “The exciting Student Section really helped bring an intense crowd.”

The Arabians will play Pearsall in Devine on Oct. 5 in the DSAC.

“It is nice when everyone comes out and shows their support towards our team,” senior Sara Moreno said. “The crowd makes it fun to play the game.”