Join the club

Josephine Taitano, Staff Writer

Clubs are an integral part of any school. They offer opportunities for new friendships and skills.

“I like participating in clubs because I get to go places with friends and see friends from other schools,” junior Paige Williamson said.

FFA is an organization that is dedicated to agricultural pursuits. To become a member, it is a requirement to take an agriculture class.

“We compete in events throughout the year,” senior Sierra Pompa said. “There are leadership opportunities, and we also have speaking events and also show animals.”

FCCLA is a national organization that is focused on Family Consumer Science. Activities include STAR events and community service.

“In STAR events you get to compete in different age categories and expand your knowledge,” junior Amy Bailey said. “The organization is all about getting involved.”

Art Guild holds various art-related events throughout the year, from field trips to museums to a fundraiser where participants can work with clay.

“The focal point of Art Guild is to introduce people to the culture of art,” senior Andy Cordova said.

Drama Club is for students interested in the Theater Arts. Involvement in a play is not required.

“Drama Club supports the productions here at the school,” Drama Club sponsor Patricia Taitano said. “We’re trying to create an outlet for students who can’t fit working on a production in their schedules.”

Tech Club is focused on different aspects of technology, such as E-Sports and robotics.

“I have lots of friends in Tech Club,” senior Michael Meek said. “I teach the newbies everything I know.”

The UIL academics team takes part in many competitions throughout the year in categories as diverse as Mathematics, Spelling and Vocabulary, and Accounting.

“It’s fun,” junior Hannah Stolzman said. “It takes a lot of practice to be successful.”

Student Section is a school organization whose purpose is to maintain school spirit at football and volleyball games by cheering on the Horses.

“We’re about school spirit in general,” senior Gehrig Runyan said. “We try to keep the environment of the school upbeat.”

There are other clubs and organizations to participate in such as Student Council, NHS, journalism and much more.

“Clubs are a great way to participate and be a part of something bigger than yourself,” sophomore Brooke DuBose said.