Making musical history

Warhorse Band sweeps competition at Hill Country Marching Festival

The+front+ensemble+prepares+themselves+for+the+show.+

The front ensemble prepares themselves for the show.

Sydnie Harrell, Staff Writer

Junior Clarissa Maldonado is Head Drum Major and calls the band to attention before starting the show.
The band preforms their visual.

Warhorse Band swept their first contest and added a movement to their performance. In their first contest of the season, the Warhorse Band took home five first place awards, including first place overall.

“We got first place overall in class 4A, best percussion, best color guard, best marching and best music,” sophomore Evan Priest said. “I am so proud of our band. Our hard work really paid off in Fredericksburg.”

The band performed their marching show “Phoenix Rising” in the pre-UIL contest in Fredericksburg on Sept. 29. The piece tells the life story of the Phoenix through music, and there are more technological components in the performance.

“Our show is about the story of the Phoenix and the ups and downs until its triumph at the end,” senior Sara Moreno said. “We’ve incorporated more high-tech components in the show, including a bird noise.”

The show is also the first one the band has ever performed that has four movements instead of the usual three. A movement is a part in a complete marching piece.

“This is the first time we have had four movements,” junior Clarissa Maldonado said. “My role is head drum major, and I make sure everyone is focused, maintain discipline and conduct the band.”

Not only is there an additional movement, but the performance has more advanced movements compared to last year’s show.

“This year, the routines are more difficult because there are a lot more arcs and diagonal formations that need to be performed in unison,” Moreno said.

Three band members were given a solo to perform in the piece. Junior Josephine Taitano is the flute soloist, senior Christian Osorio is the French Horn soloist and senior Amelia Robinson is the bassoon soloist. Robinson has to switch to the bassoon for her solo in the middle of the performance.

“I play my solo on the bassoon,” Robinson said. “It feels amazing to walk off to the sideline, set down my horn, pick up my bassoon and play in front of the audience.”

The Warhorse Band performs the marching piece during halftime at the football games. They will compete in the UIL Region Marching Contest in Hondo on Oct. 13.

“I’m excited for competition season, especially since it’s my senior year,” senior Jessie Ramirez said. “We’ve been working hard since July, and we just started our Monday night stadium practices. I know our marching band has a really good shot to advance this year.”