FCCLA recognition

Abigail Kohlleppel, Managing Editor

Left to right: Abby Kohlleppel, Emily Kohlleppel, Amy Bailey, and Charlize Benavidez. The girls stand with their recognition certificates.
The Region V officers, Amy Bailey and Charlize Benavidez, stand with their advisors, Mrs. Madeline Steubing and Ms. Emily Cunningham.

Over the summer two FCCLA teams went to the national conference in Nashville, Tennessee. These teams and two regional officers were recognized at September’s school board meeting.

“We have a very supportive community that helped us get four girls and a teacher to Nashville,” FCCLA advisor Madeline Steubing said. “We were able to compete and bring home a gold and silver medal.”

With their project “Unplug and Engage”, Emily and Abby Kohlleppel earned gold. They have been working on their project all year long. They taught kids social skills, how to make new friends, and how to play games from their childhood.

“My sister and I were very passionate about this project,” senior Emily Kohlleppel said. “Earning gold was the best way to end this project.”

Amanda Richardson and Cassidee Wood earned silver and 3rd in the nation for their project, “Social Media Safety and Professionalism.” They also worked all year long reaching out to different grade levels and teaching them proper social media etiquette.

“They reached over 1500 students and worked with the Devine Police Department,” Mrs. Steubing said. “They taught teens to realize that what they post may affect future college admittance and in their careers later on.”

Both teams competed at the Region, State, and National levels. They gained new experiences and made memories that will last a lifetime.

“The amount of people I have met over the past three years at these events is truly amazing,” Emily Kohlleppel said. “I can not think of another organization that gives me that kind of opportunity.”

The two Region V officers were also recognized for their office positions and the work they did over the summer to prepare for those positions. Charlize Benavidez, VP of Records, and Amy Bailey, VP of Projects are the two officers from Devine.

“Being a region officer really puts you to the test,” Benavidez said. “We are given assignments and deadlines that need to be completed which will really help me in the real world.”

These FCCLA members plan to continue to be in FCCLA this year and compete in STAR Events or fulfill their officer role.

“Being elected president for this chapter this upcoming year will allow me to further our community service activities as a thank you for the support we received to be able to attend Nationals this summer,” Emily Kohlleppel said. “Without the community’s support, we wouldn’t have been able to go.”