10 Advance to State Solo & Ensemble

Sydnie Harrell, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Ten members of the Warhorse band are advancing to the State UIL Solo & Ensemble Contest in Austin at the end of May.

“It’s a great honor to have so many achieve this goal of going to State,” Head Band Director Jeff Miller said. “I expect the students to perform at a very high level. I think they will be very successful.”

These members competed in the Region 11 UIL Solo & Ensemble Contest on Sat., Feb. 1 and earned a Division I on a class one solo or ensemble event.

“We started preparing for the contest a lot earlier this year than last year,” junior Pauline Calame said. “It’s always nerve-wracking, but all of the preparation helped.”

Senior Josephine Taitano advanced with a class one memorized flute solo. Taitano was the only Warhorse band soloist to qualify for the State Contest.

“This is my third year getting the chance to compete at state,” Taitano said. “I’m hoping to improve from my last two years and earn a Division I.”

Senior Clarissa Maldonado, junior Madilynne Mohr and freshman Skylar Montoya advanced as a class one clarinet trio. This is Maldonado’s third year and Mohr’s second year to make it to the State Contest.

“It’s really exciting that I get to go to state again,” Mohr said. “I feel like we’re going to do a lot better this year than last year.”

Six Warhorse band members advanced as a class one percussion ensemble. Calame and juniors Andrea Sanchez, Caleb Martin, Analea Brooks and Michael Cubriel and sophomore Jacob Guarjardo made up the group.

“I went to state last year with a snare solo,” Martin said. “It’s different relying on other people to work with in an ensemble. I think we have a really good chance at getting a Division I at state.”