Red Ribbon activities

Abigail Kohlleppel, Managing Editor

Red Ribbon Week is celebrated all throughout the world including the high school. Activities, dress up days, and assemblies took place throughout the week.

“Red Ribbon Week really made its impact on the student body this year,” junior Brady Harrell said. “It’s a great way to provide information to students on why it’s important to be drug free.”

The week is dedicated to bringing awareness to drugs and drug prevention.

“I feel like the week is a great way to spread drug awareness,” senior Trinity Woods said. “I’m glad Devine participates.”

The students were able to dress up throughout the week to promote awareness. Dress up days included wearing red, camouflage, sunglasses, neon, and school spirit.

“I participated in the dress up days,” freshman Khali Key said. “It’s a great way to show we are drug free.”

Many students from the high school attended the Red Ribbon Rally for the Elementary and Intermediate students. The cheerleaders, many sport and club leaders, and a small pep-band attended to help inform the kids on the dangers of drugs and how successful they can be by avoiding drugs.

“I like going because I get to see kids I babysit and they get to see me outside of school,” junior Karli Geyer sad. “I like being a good example to the kids and participating in the rally allows me to do so.”
The high school also held an assembly for the students with special guests from the law enforcement offices. They talked about where they could go to find help and tips on how to stay away from drugs.

“Kids have a lot of reasons to make good choices,” Principal Derrick Byrd said. “They should make the most out of their decisions and never leave a classroom with a question unanswered.”

Chief Kandy Benavides talked to the students about how drugs are only a temporary fix that takes a person out of a situation. She also encouraged students to talk to their friends who are tempted or do drugs and to not talk behind their back.

“The best thing to do is not talk amongst you and your friends,” Chief Benavides said. “Students should tell someone or a counselor and if you are worried about being called out on telling, just deny you said anything.”

Other officers, including Sgt. Inv. Mark Esquibel, informed students that drugs cause excited delirium, which causes people’s heart to race, them to feel like they have more power, sweat and their hearts can explode.

“There are people that love each and every one of these students,” Sgt. Esquibel said. “There are role models and examples within the community there for our kids. “When you see a drug user, reach out to them and get them help. No one wants to see anyone dead.”

The officers wanted to let people know that they are there to help and jail is not always the answer in some situations. People are encouraged to call Crime Stoppers and leave information or tips for ongoing issues. For help, call 830-741-6150 or call the Sheriff’s office at 830-741-6150.

“When calling you can remain anonymous,” Sgt. Esquibel said. “Getting in trouble is not always the case when you point something out or give information.”

Students were also reminded that there are School Resource Officers at the school every day there to help. The department’s non-emergency phone number for sharing information or getting help is 830-663-4403.

“Doing something is better than doing nothing,” Chief Benavides said. “It is not ratting someone out, it is helping.”

They also want to let students know that getting help goes for anything, not just drugs.

“It’s important to stand up and tell about things like drugs and bullying,” Sgt. Esquibel said. “You don’t know what is going on in a person’s life and you could end up saving a life by being a bigger person.”

The officers told the kids that the community cares and supports and will work hard to battle drugs.

“Every community deals with problems,” Sgt. Inv. Kerry Simmons said. “When things are brought up, it tends to cool things off and we start to see a decline.”

They also want students to be aware of all the tools available to help them which include hundreds of websites and free counseling available in the community. The school office has the information and insurance is not needed.

“My best advice is to talk, get to know your friends, and let them know you are there for them,” Chief Benavides said. “Let them know they are not alone and that they are at an amazing school.”

Overall, they were informed of the dangers of drugs, the impact they can have on life, and the benefits students can experience by staying drug free.

“I am hoping this assembly and information being given brings awareness to students and community members,” Chief Benavides said. “Red Ribbon Week always brings a positive impact on people and Devine will be no different.”