Homecoming tradition

Homecoming+tradition

Vanessa Oyola, Staff Writer

Devine is no stranger to tradition, especially when it comes to homecoming. The week leading up to one of the biggest games of the year, students show their school spirit by dressing up as the selected theme.

“I like dressing up,” senior Victoria Martin said. “It allows me to show my school spirit and it’s funny.”

This year’s themes were not only outgoing, but very interesting. The themes were: American Day, Tacky Tuesday, Elderly Day, Throwback Thursday and Spirit Day. Many people took this opportunity to go all out.

“I enjoy going all out especially because it’s my senior year,” senior Jenna Sadler said.

On the night before the Horses hit the field the cheerleaders host a “blackout” pep rally with lights out and glow sticks. This year, the band percussion section had a chance to show off their skills at this pep rally.

“It’s a honor to represent my school. We go out there and always want to surprise and do something new to make everyone excited for the big game,” senior Jaime Garza said.

This year, seniors Tristan Woods and Emilie Dudley were crowned Homecoming King and Queen.

“It’s a honor to be crowned Homecoming Queen,” Dudley said. “It’s always a pleasure to represent our school in this way and I was glad that I was chosen by the student body.”