Ramirez continues softball career

Josephine Taitano, Staff Writer

Pledging to play softball for McMurry University, senior Jessie Ramirez signed her contract on Apr. 12.

“It’s a dream come true,” Ramirez said. “It’s always been one of my goals to compete in softball in college while continuing my education as well.”

Her family and friends are proud to see her continue her career.

“I’ve been playing with Jessie since Little League, so I’ve gotten to see her grow up,” junior Isabella Gutierrez said. “Seeing her play softball at the college level makes me and my whole family happy.”

Ramirez first heard about the school via email. The coaches had seen her play, and sent her an invitation for their prospect camp in Abilene.

“During a summer tournament in Hondo, it just so happened that the coach and assistant coach were sitting in the stands and they saw me play,” Ramirez said.

McMurry University is a Division III school, meaning that they have a smaller athletic department compared to Division I and Division II schools. Because the sports program is not as intensive, Ramirez can focus on both softball and school.

“At Division III schools, the competition is not as fierce,” Ramirez said. “The staff makes sure that students find a good balance between sports and education. It’s not as easy to do that at D-I and D-II schools.”

Ramirez was drawn to the campus because of its small size.

“It kind of reminds me of Devine,” Ramirez said. “The teacher to student ratio is thirteen to one, so I get to know the faculty better than at other colleges.”

Ramirez is excited to make the transition from high school to college.

“I look forward to being on my own and making my own decisions,” Ramirez said. “I think it’s a really big step to go from a small town to a college town.”