NUC All-American Game

Lexi Shields, Staff Writer

This past Christmas break seniors Chase DuBose and Marques Burford-Zawahreh participated in the National Underclassmen Combine (NUC). The program was in Daytona, Florida December 27-30.

“Just the invitation alone was enough to overwhelm someone, especially me,” DuBose said. “Actually traveling to Florida made it even more real and exciting.”

This is the sixth annual All-American Game hosted by the NUC, the first was held in New Jersey in 2005. Roughly about a thousand football athletes are invited to participate and given opportunities. The NUC is one of the largest and most successful programs of its kind.

“Even though there was so many athletes it was still an amazing experience, we got the chance to know people,” Burford-Zawahreh said. “We got to make friends and hear their stories.”

The NUC is a professional and privately owned recruiting program, 3-day training, and assessment that was founded by former University of Connecticut’s linebacker, David Schuman. His hopes were to expose athletes and show off their full potential. Coaches from colleges attend the combine to give football athletes scholarships for their program.

“Going through this specific program helps shape athletes for the next level,” Schuman said. “It is an unbelievable honor and privilege for your son to be invited to such an event.”

Professional players such as the cornerback from the Cleveland Browns, Joe Haden and linebacker from the University of South Carolina, Marcus Lattimore have gone through this program and come out very successful.

“I think it’s a once in a life time opportunity to be able to follow in such an amazing role model’s footsteps,” DuBose said. “I hope to be like them some day while also earning a degree in college.”

Results like these are the out come that make the whole NUC program worth the ride and any stress that comes with it. Helping student athletes shine and point them in the right direction is what great role models like Schuman do.