Arabians Power Through to First

Brianna Torres, News Writer

The Arabian powerlifting team traveled to the Texas Strength System and lifted their way to first place as a team last Wednesday. After a competitive meet junior Nayeli Saldana placed first and Sabrina Lindsey placed second in the 114 weight class.

Juniors Jordan Erxleben and Jocelynn Zamarron placed in the 123 weight class with Erxleben taking first and Zamarron taking third.

Junior Cassandra Elias placed 1st and sophomore Kate Featherly placed second in the 132 weight class, while sophomore Samantha Vera placed second, and junior Victoria Nunez took third in the 148 weight class.

Katalina Pasillas placed first in the 165 weight class, Trinity Spurgers placed third in the 181 weight class. Seniors Cecelia Martinez placed first in the 181 weight class. Kylie Rodrigues placed first in the 220 weight class.

Along with winning first, Martinez was awarded best lifter in the entire meet. “I have worked so hard for this award and have always wanted it,” Martinez said. “I felt so proud and accomplished.” 

The Arabian powerlifting team’s season opened on January 19th held at Natalia High School. After a tough meet, the Arabians finished third overall with junior Cassandra Elisa’s finishing first in the 132 weight class. Elias hit a new personal record that qualified her for state on the first meet of the season. “I have been trying to hit this state total for as long as I can remember,” Elias said recalling past seasons. “I feel so accomplished that I hit this total on my very first meet of the season.” 

The Arabians travel to Texas strength systems again for their next powerlifting meet next Wednesday. This meet gives the Arabians a final chance to qualify for regionals. “It is scary to think that the next meet is my last chance to qualify for regionals,” Featherly said. “But I am confident in myself that I can hit the total.”