Powerlifting season nears major meets

Macey Hein, Staff Writer

Halfway through the powerlifting season, athletes are lifting more and one Warhorse has already met the state requirement weight to go to state before regionals.

“I expect big things from our athletes this year,” Coach Gomez said. “The kids have been working very hard, and it shows.”

At the boys meet on Jan. 30, at Texas Strength Systems, junior Fabian (Buddy) Santos was moved up to the 181 weight class and placed first. Santos met the state qualification weight and will now have to meet it again at regionals to advance to state for his first time.

“I was very surprised and excited when I found out I have a good chance to go to state if I meet the weight again at regionals,” Santos said. “It was my first time being in the 181 weight class, so I was a little nervous.”

Last year, junior Aaliyah Terrazas advanced to state as a sophomore. The season has started off great for Terrazas and hope for another state advancement is high on her list.

“I advanced to state last year as a sophomore, and I think it really prepared me for this year’s season,” Terrazas said. “I hope to place in the top three at State this year.”

Each meet is held at the Texas Strength Systems facility in San Antonio. The boys and girls are on different weeks.

“We already have possible lifters getting close to being able to go to state,” Coach Gomez said. “So far this season has been great and there is still a lot of time for our other athletes to grow as well.”