Golf headed to regional meet

Warhorses, Arabians win first at district

Alissa Stehle, Staff Writer

This past week, the Arabian and Warhorse golf teams competed at their two day District Tournament in Uvalde. Both teams won District Championships.

“Being District Champs as a sophomore is exciting because we get to go on and have more time to improve as a team,” sophomore Denton Zuercher said. “I get to play at a very nice golf course which will be good for all of us.”

In the girl’s division, senior Kayla Busby and Preslee Quisenberry placed as individuals. Busby won with a score of 162, and Quisenberry got third with a score of 189.

“Winning district as an individual two years in a row is a big accomplishment,” Busby said. “I have put in countless hours of practicing and sweat and tears to be able to achieve this.”

For the Warhorses, senior Noah Tumbarello placed second as an individual with a score of 167.

“It feels good knowing that all four years of training have paid off and being district champs for the third year in a row just shows how hard my teammates work,” Tumbarello said.  “I’m looking forward to trying to advance to state again.”

Each individual has put in many hours and months of preparation for this sport.

“Being in tennis and golf at the same time means that I don’t get as much time at practice and I have to get the most out of  it when I’m given the opportunity,” Quisenberry said. “I try to go to the driving range with my dad or go play at the course here in Devine to get extra practice almost every weekend.”

Though this accomplishment might seem like it was an easy win, the two-day tournament came with obstacles for each individual.

“District this year came with a lot of challenges for me personally,” sophomore Lillie Weyel said. “I don’t think I’ve ever gotten in the sand so much, but I’m glad that we’re advancing to Regionals as a team as District Champions.”

Both teams will be advancing to the Regional meet in Corpus Christi on April 22-23.

“Between now and Regionals, I’m looking forward to improving my swing and helping the team out,” freshman Brian Schaefer said. “I’m also excited to see Corpus Christi’s nice golf course.”