Jo’s Flow

Josephine Taitano, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, but not everybody is looking forward to it. While happy couples all over campus will be carrying giant teddy bears and big baskets of candy, many singles will look on with disappointment or jealousy.

It’s disappointing, I know, to receive nothing (or next to nothing) when you see friends with valentines from their boyfriend or girlfriend. Sometimes, even I get a little jealous of the affection they’re getting, since I’ve always been single. I can’t let that get in the way of my happiness, though. After all, it is a holiday, and holidays are supposed to be celebrated, not dreaded.

The number of valentines you receive does not determine your worth. Everyone has an inherent value that is not determined by the stuff that they have or the people that care for them. Valentines aren’t even a good indicator of how much one is loved. While some people may buy their friend or valentine a giant basket of candy, other people may not have enough money to buy those things. Some people don’t participate in giving gifts because they don’t like the commercial aspect of Valentine’s Day. Others might just forget that Valentine’s Day is coming.

Rather than waiting for others to appreciate you, use Valentine’s Day to appreciate yourself and others. Give your friends and family valentines to show your appreciation. If you don’t have money to buy anything, you could make stuff, like cards and baked goods, to give. Giving has been shown to have many health benefits, including lower stress levels and increased self-esteem, making it a great way to also show yourself appreciation. Other things you could do to show yourself some love include eating your favorite meal or watching your favorite show or movie.

Some people want to be in a relationship with someone so they can enjoy the day with them. However, you really shouldn’t worry about being in a relationship, especially in high school. High school is the time to set your priorities straight, discover yourself and figure out what career you want. Since I’ve been single my entire life, I’ve had the time to pursue many things, like high grades, flute performance, journalistic writing and scientific knowledge in preparation for my future. I doubt that I could have juggled that many commitments if I was in a relationship too. Romantic love may seem appealing, especially on Valentine’s Day, but being single is not a bad thing at all.

I think Valentine’s Day can be enjoyed by everybody, regardless of relationship status, because everyone has someone that they care about. After all, there is no better time to show appreciation for your friends, family and yourself than on Valentine’s Day.