Simply Sydnie

Sydnie Harrell, Co-Editor-in-Chief

I think one of the hardest things one could face is the thought of giving up on something because they are struggling with it; in other words, quitting.

Over my high school career, I have faced numerous challenges where I was having such a difficult time doing something that I considered just quitting. However, I do not like to be known as “the girl who quit xyz.”

That’s the issue though; I was worried about what other people would think of me if I quit running hurdles or if I stopped taking AP classes. That’s when I realized that I had to start thinking of what would benefit me, not what others would think.

So, I quit running hurdles. I quit taking AP classes. And, during my senior year, I quit playing volleyball.

I never imagined not playing volleyball all four years of high school. I had been practicing the three-part rhythm of passing, setting and hitting since I was a second grader playing DYSA. While the teams I was on did not always accomplish those three functions, the pattern was still burned into my brains and would stick with me throughout the rest of my career.

My first three years of high school volleyball were smooth sailing. But, when I started my fourth and final year, things just seemed to be off.

The team was not meshing as it should be, and the coaches were not the biggest help. It seemed like the issues just kept piling higher and higher. Then one day. I was reminded of the other times I had given up on things.

Three weeks into the season, I quit. And let me tell you what; it was the best decision I have made this year.

I am so much less stressed since the pressures of constantly losing have been lifted off my shoulders. I have more time to focus on my college classes. I have more time to enjoy my senior year.

Sometimes, quitting can be a hard thing to do. But one has to understand that it’s okay. Let me repeat myself; IT IS OKAY TO QUIT. No matter what people say, it all comes down to what makes you happy. I’m not saying quitting is the only option when things get tough, but you have to remember that it is an option, and it is an acceptable one.