Absolutely Alissa

Alissa Stehle, Staff Writer

Well, I’m new to this whole column writing stuff, but I’m looking forward to it. It seems fun and I’m excited to share my thoughts with everyone who reads this. For anyone who doesn’t know me, my name is Alissa Ann Stehle. I am almost 18 and a senior at Devine.

The questions I hear most are “what are you going to do after high school?”, “are you excited to graduate?”, and “enjoy it while it lasts.” Let me say, it gets old to answer every time, but it’s just a part of being a senior in general.

One of the things about being a senior is that there are all of these ‘last firsts’ happening. The last first ending summer party, day of high school, practice, pep rally, home game and meet. Everything is going by so fast and obviously no one can slow down time. We’re so caught up in rushing things: homework, the school day, practices and more. We don’t even have the time to realize time is passing by us. Every event that has always been there, is about to end. Though it hasn’t affected me yet, I know I’m going to be heart broken when it all ends.

It’s crazy to think that I’m making memories right now. I’m never going to get this day back. And I’m about to leave people I thought I’d never get so close to. All of these thoughts put me in a mindset where I have to live every moment to the fullest and to make the most of every day. I can’t slack in school, practice or in a game because I’ll never get that time back. The problems that are occurring right now, most likely won’t matter in a year. Why not have fun while I’m here?

Now I know I sound like I never want to leave, but trust me when I admit that I’m excited and I look forward to the future. I’m unbelievably scared, but it’s just another part of being a senior. I’m using this time to stop, look around and appreciate everything I have here, in the present, before it becomes the past, and I hope everyone else does the same.