College assistance: fair or not

Julia Martinez, Staff Writer

Applying for college is a huge step for most high school students, but this is just one big headache out of many. As young adults we start realizing the value of money and paying for collage is one of the main thing that they think of if you are going to collage. Parents income is one of the big factors that come between whether or not you get the financial support you receive from programs such as FSAFA or, Federal Student Aid.

There are many ways to receive financial support, but the parent’s financial status effect whether or not a student deserves to money for school. Most students have to support themselves so their parents income shouldn’t have a reason to be considered on that matter. According to their terms of conditions the reason being is because the federal law assumes that the parents have the primary responsibility for paying for their children’s college education. The federal government provides grants and other forms of college support only when the parents are incapable of paying for college, not when the parents are unwilling to pay for college.

The difference in whether or not you’re eligible to get financial support for college depends on the willingness of the parent or legal guardian. The fact of the matter is that the only way you’re insured on getting the help you need is asking the collage you’d like to attend what kind of grants and financial aid suits you and you’re needs.