Choosing the right college: what you need to consider when looking for your future home

Dallas Gonzalez, Staff Writer

Searching for the right college is always a long, nerve-racking process for high school juniors and seniors. Choosing a school is the first step to becoming a young adult and going out in the world. It shows responsibility, determination, maturity, and dependability. All of these things are important when you grow up because these things determine your character as an adult, and it’s important that you get off to the right start when you begin that journey.

The first thing to do before choosing a school is to consider what career you would like to pursue. Different schools focus more on certain careers than others, so it’s important to have a general idea of what it is you’d like to study. Depending on what you are good at and love doing can affect what school you choose.

The second thing you should do when you are looking for your future school is distance. Do you want to be far away from your family or do you want to be close to them? If you are close to them then you can visit more often, and if you go far away you have to be more independent. These are questions that you must ask yourself when applying to different colleges.

Another thing that everyone should consider when looking for a school is what the school itself is like. Are the students and staff friendly? What’s the campus like?  The campus, students, professors, and area of the school are very important aspects when looking for a school.

There are many things to consider when looking for your future college: career, distance, what the campus is like are just a few of them. The most important thing to find in a school is that you will feel safe, at home, and comfortable. After all, the rest will fit together once you find a place you can call home.