Pinching Pennies; Dorm Decorating

Jennifer Wooldridge, Editor-in-Chief

A home away from home sounds like the perfect get-away to many graduating high school seniors. Settling into dorms, and starting a new chapter of their lives at a new school can’t come soon enough for some students. One of the first steps of getting situated in new surroundings is to decorate the dorm room. With the high cost of attending college in the first place, dorm decorating seems be at the end of your priority list; however, there are a few ways to have a great home away from home and keep your wallet full at the same time. The easiest thing to do is to start small with “knick knacks” or accessories. Some of the smallest touches can make the biggest difference in the total appearance. A throw rug can be a big help by not only covering up tile floors for those cold winter mornings, but also by aiding your color scheme. Another easy fix would be to add some inexpensive wall décor such as cute paintings or mirrors.

Also, another great way to personalize the room as well as decorate it, is to use picture frames to go along with the theme. Along with looking good, it’s important for the room to stay organized and functional as well. As the school year goes by, things can start getting a little messy; therefore, it’s a good idea to have some organization to keep everything in line and to keep yourself an efficient student. To keep the bed from becoming a dresser, it would probably be useful to get a hamper or laundry basket to put your dirty clothes in. Along with that, closet and drawer space may be more confined than what you’re used to, therefore canvas storage boxes, extra shelves or hanging rods for the closet and under-the-bed boxes may be a good place for out of season clothes and shoes.

When it comes to school work, plastic storage containers, drawers and totes could end up being a smart purchase as well. Stackable shelves offer a place for things such as CDs, DVDs, or video games, and memo boards could be useful for posting reminders, calendars, or creative touches. A great place to look for all of these inexpensive items are places like The Container Store or Bed Bath and Beyond. College is a place to gain independence, try new things and express yourself; a dorm room is the perfect place to start. Blank walls are a great opportunity to make your new living space reflect your personality without paying a pretty penny and regretting it later.