Prepping For The Winter Weather

Autumn Copeland, News Writer

DHS students brave the January chill during their break.

It is the start of a new year and as the weather gets colder, many Texans are reminded of the deadly freeze that overtook the whole state in early 2021. The freeze did a lot of damage, so the question on everyone’s minds is whether or not it will happen again. 

According to the Farmer’s Almanac, Texas should be expecting more bad weather this winter. “For our friends in the Southern Great Plains, including Texas and Oklahoma, we are sorry to report that late January may bring some potentially frigid and flaky weather like you experienced last winter,” said the publication. 

The freeze in February of last year resulted in power grids shutting down, record low temperatures, and icy roads. The official death toll from the ice storm was 246, making it one of the worst natural disasters in Texas history. 

With all these dangers in mind, how can Texans be better prepared to handle the conditions this year? 

Cdc.gov recommends making a plan with your family ahead of time. It is important to prepare your home and car by doing things like insulating water pipes and walls, installing thermal-pane windows, and creating an emergency car kit. 

Texans should also collect emergency supplies and food and water in case your area is in danger of being hit with bad weather. Pet owners should also make sure to provide them with food, water, shelter and keep them warm. 

Devine was highly affected by the freeze to the point where the school was canceled and people were forced to stay in their homes. Some had to evacuate their houses and find shelter elsewhere as they might have lost power and water. 

“Fortunately we still had water, but being without power was not good,” said Junior Raynee Allen. “A hard part of not having power was not having anything to occupy my time.” 

“Some things we have done to prepare ourselves for another storm is stocking up on things like wood, water, and food,” Allen added.