Students Donate the Gift of Life

DHS Journalism

Students head to the blood drive Thursday morning.

Autumn Copeland, News Writer

Last Thursday DHS Student Council held a blood drive in the gym to donate to South Texas Blood and Tissue Center. According to South Texas Blood and Tissue Center, their critical purpose is to “save and improve lives” by collecting donated blood. DHS was unable to participate in the blood drive last year, but this year there was a big turnout of students volunteering. 

In order to give blood, one should be at least 16 years old and weigh at least 120 lbs. For those 17 years old or older, the minimum weight is 110 lbs. You must bring a valid picture ID and your parental consent form if you are 16. If your iron is low or your pulse is too high, you may not be able to donate blood. 

In order to avoid reactions to donating blood, South Texas Blood and Tissue Center recommend you get a good night’s rest before donating, drink 8 glasses of noncaffeinated beverages 24 hours before and after donating, eat a full meal within 4 hours before donating, and avoid strenuous physical activity on the day of donation.

On the day of the blood drive, things began to run a bit behind schedule due to an active shooter drill held that morning. However, the drive was back on course soon after.

“We were really excited to have filled every slot, but unfortunately that was thrown off a bit by the active shooter drill,” said Jana Dudley, student council sponsor.

“It’s the first time I ever got to experience this, and I’m happy I get to help others out, said junior Cassandra Elias. Students have the extra incentive of earning a graduation cord after donating so many times during their high school career.

In total, DHS donated 48 units of blood to South Texas Blood and Tissue Center. There will be more opportunities to donate blood next semester.