Red Ribbon Fun is Reminder of Clean Living

DHS Journalism photo

Disney Day hits Devine HS. Sophomores Avery Mobley and Lizbeth De Los Santos dressed as Inside Out’s emotions for Red Ribbon Week.

Brianna Torres, News Writer

DHS students and staff celebrated Red Ribbon Week by holding dress-up days to support drug awareness. Students kicked off the week by wearing red on Monday to show they are supportive of a drug-free lifestyle. On Tuesday students and staff alike dressed in styles depicting their favorite decade for a throwback day symbolizing throwing away drugs. The campus hosted hippies, Pink Ladies, 80s and 90s kids, and even a few 1940s gangsters. Wednesday was popular with its Disney character “follow your dreams, not drugs” theme. Thursday students were dressed in Hawaiian gear for a “Lei Off Drugs” theme, while Friday’s spirit day encouraged students to show off their school spirit and commitment to being drug-free.

“I came up with the dress-up days after asking many friends which ones they would participate in most.” Student Council President Kelli Geyer said.

According to campus teachers, Devine High School has participated in Red Ribbon Week activities for almost 30 years and many teachers really like the meaning behind it.

“I really enjoy red ribbon week because of the effect it has on students all over the united states.” English teacher Jana Dudley said. 

The tradition of having a Grim Reaper walking the halls “taking” students returned to campus after a COVID halt. While students were excited to spot the reaper walking through campus, every 15 minutes in search of drug-related death “victims.”  But they were also not in a hurry to get chosen, as it meant being silenced for the rest of the day. Student council members Aiden Zapata and Brian Schaefer played the Reaper this year.

According to redribbon.org, Enrique “Kiki” Camarena was a Drug Enforcement Administration Agent who was tortured and killed in Mexico in 1985.  In honor of Kiki’s memory and his battle against illegal drugs, friends and neighbors began to wear red satin badges. Today, Red Ribbon Week serves to mobilize communities into educating students and encourages them to participate in drug prevention activities.