‘Part the sea folks’

New tradition for Warhorse band

Noah Davila, Managing Editor

The place kicker takes a few steps back. “Part the sea folks!” The ball arcs through the air, and strikes a foldable chair. “Alright, bring it back!” This is the new tradition for the band.

“It can get a little scary behind the endzone,” freshman Charlie Nelson said. “Especially when the footballs start flying at us.”

Because of the seating requirements at football games, band members now have to sit behind the south endzone. This has led to the new practice of “parting the sea”, when the band must quickly leave their seats and rush to the sides, before a field goal is kicked. Along with the new seating, comes the new policies on masks and social  distancing for the band.

“Everyone has adapted very well to this year’s changes,” said Drum Major Madilynne Moore. “It’s a little challenging, but I know everyone wants to be here and do what we can with what we have.”

These are just some of the new changes the band has gone through since the end of last school year, when the fate of the band was less clear. But as months went by, more and more about their new reality would come to light, the biggest change being the cancellation of their UIL State competition year.

“I was devastated that this year’s competitions have been cancelled,” said Mohr. “It was always a highlight to my year, but I realize that there are bigger problems right now.”

Instead of calling quits on the entire season our band has decided to make the best of it, replacing the usual three part competition march with a variety of shorter more “casual” shows.

“Sometimes you’ve got to make the best of what you got,” said Pauline Calame. “I’m still having a lot of fun and enjoying preparing our new band members to carry on the tradition of success.”

Schools from all around have looked to Devine and their choice with envy, some even deciding to follow our lead.

“I’ve had directors from up to Houston, even one in Virginia, call up and tell me how jealous they are,” said Band Director Jeff Miller. “They want to start so bad because they see how far behind they’re going to be. It is really going to pay out for us when competition comes back.”

“I’m very proud of our band,” Miller said. “Were trying to keep our band alive.”