Band rising

Karli Geyer, Staff Writer

The Mighty Warhorse Marching Band advanced to area level of competition, while also receiving straight ones from the judges.

“Because the opportunity to compete at the area level only comes around every other year, it puts a lot of pressure on every band member to do their best at every practice and performance,” senior Abigail Kohlleppel said. “When we heard our rating in Hondo, all of us were so excited, but we knew we had more work ahead of us.”

Every two years, the opportunity to advance to the next level of competition is available. One year the “odd A’s,” such as 1A, 3A and 5A, have the chance to go to area. The next year, the “even A’s,” which include 2A, 4A and 6A, get the opportunity.

“I think it gives us more time to practice and get better at marching and playing,” senior Paula Guajardo said. “The more time we have to practice, the better we will be the following year.”

The 2019 seniors were the sophomore class when the band advanced to area for the first time in a long time. The whole band advanced, but the senior class started the division one trend.

“It feels great to start something that is such a high standard, and that classes after us will continue to strive for,” senior Sara Moreno said. “As a freshman, it was exciting to be able to give the seniors straight ones. Now as a senior, it feels even better.”

The next time that the band is able to advance to area, after the district marching contest, is going to be in 2020.

“This upcoming summer, we will be starting up marching season again,” sophomore Allison Stevens said. “We are going to begin working on our performance for the next year and hopefully continue to be successful.”

The seniors have worked hard in band for four years and are expecting the underclassmen to help make their last year one to remember.

“I feel like it’s a lot, but, at the same time, it’s fun because how us underclassmen look up to the seniors,” sophomore Zachary Alvarez said. “I think that they see us in the same way.”

Receiving straight ones from all judges is considered difficult in the marching band contest. That means that each judge gives  an overall division one rating.

“It feels great to receive straight ones my last year,” senior Rafael Rios said. “I hope that the other band members keep the tradition going.”