Band holds annual Christmas concert

Abigail Kohlleppel, Staff Writer

Marching season ended, and concert band season started. The band performed their Christmas concert on Dec. 8.

“When marching band ended, it made me feel proud because of all of our accomplishments,” junior Trinity Woods said. “I’m excited to do well in concert season.”

The Concert band opened the concert with their musical selections “The Christmas Trilogy”, “The Christmas Story”, and

“A Ride Down Christmas Lane”.

“The songs we played were a great representation of Christmas,” freshman Darrin Laffertey said. “It’s my favorite holiday so this concert was fun to play.”

The Symphonic Winds followed performing “Pentland Hills”, “First Noel” featuring flute soloist Kiara Lopez, and “A Christmas Festival.”

“It felt good but nerve wracking to perform the solo at the concert,” senior Lopez said. “I didn’t want to mess up.”

“A Christmas Festival” has become a tradition to perform for the Symphonic Winds. The song is a combination of many Christmas songs including “Jingle Bells”, “Hark the Harold Angels”, and “Deck the Halls”.

“We have been doing ‘A Christmas Festival’ for four years now,” Head Band Director Jeff Miller said. “The composer, Leroy Anderson, is well known for his traditional Christmas songs like ‘‘A Christmas Festival’ and ‘Sleigh Ride’.”

Not only has the band been preparing for their concert, Region Band Auditions were held on Dec. 3 and 30 students from Devine auditioned.

“I tried out for Region Band because I wanted to see how I ranked among people from surrounding schools,” freshman Charlize Benavidez said.

Region Band is a band made up of students from different schools all around the region. During the concert, Josephine Taitano, Trinity Woods, Abram Hernandez, Tristan Woods, Jeremy Salazar, Leroy Torres, Jose Guardiola, Jaime Garza, and Austin Peterson were recognized for being selected to be a part of the Region Band.

“I have been preparing for my audition for a while,” Hernandez said. “I’m super happy that my hard and other’s hard work paid off.”

The Region Band clinic and concert was on Dec. 9 and 10 at Pleasanton High School. Torres and Hernandez also qualified for Area Band and will get the chance to audition for the All- State Band on Jan. 7.

“The clinic and concert was an eye-opening experience,” Salazar said. “I’m thankful that I get to experience this as a senior.”

Also recognized at the concert was the student leadership team. This team is made up of the band President, Secretary, Historian, the quartermasters, uniform crew, and section leaders. 

“As section leader for the trumpet section, I was responsible for teaching the section the basic techniques of marching and playing,” senior Jullian Mares said.

After the winter break, the band will be preparing for the UIL Concert and Sight Reading competition on Mar. 1. 

“After we get back, I’m excited to continue preparing for the UIL contest,” freshman Amy Bailey said. “I’m hoping that we earn another division I during concert season.”