We the People

Students recite prepared speeches about the U.S. Constitution

Brooke Sumners, Editor-in-Chief

Reciting a memorized, eight minute long speech in front of an audience is not an easy thing to do, much less a speech concerning one of the most important documents in history. Four seniors had to write and memorize a speech based on the U.S. Constitution for a scholarship contest hosted by the American Legion, and they delivered them Wednesday night, Dec. 10. “It was an interesting challenge,” senior Sarah Terrazas said. “Even though the process was stressful, in the end I was happy I did it.” Terrazas was one of the four girls that participated in the contest. Seniors Brooke Sumners, Catherine Duncan and Alyssa Schmidt also gave speeches in an attempt to win the $300 scholarship. “I was nervous when I went out on the stage,” Duncan said. “After I got started, though, I felt more confident in what I was saying.” That confidence is what landed Duncan in the first place spot for the scholarship. Terrazas placed second, and will fill in for Duncan in the next level of competition if she cannot be present. “I was really surprised that I won because the competition was stiff.” Duncan said. “I’m excited to move on to the next level and continue competing for this awesome scholarship program.” Duncan will be competing against students from all over the region in the next competition on Sun. Jan. 18. It will be held at Carrizo Springs High School at 3:00 p.m.