Giving a new meaning to Living Better

Walmart brings new opportunities to Devine and its students

Alyssa Schmidt, Staff Writer

Excitement hung in the air as the community of Devine awaited the cutting of the ribbon at Devine’s newest attraction, Walmart. The Warhorse band and varsity cheerleaders kicked it off with The Horse drumbeat spelling out Walmart.

“We are very excited to give back the community and provide for their needs so that they can ‘Save More and Live Better’,” Regional/Shift Manager Cherie Byrd said.

Walmart will not only help the community with groceries and everyday needs, but with Devine’s economic value as well.

“This is the biggest thing to hit Devine,” Mayor Bill Herring said. “It has provided over 300 jobs and it will hugely increase property taxes and sales taxes.”

Devine ISD’s very own Terri Barron sang the National Anthem to begin the official ceremony. The invocation was then lead by Pastor Nixon after which Steve Rodriguez, Walmart’s shift manager, gave the crowd a little background story.

Costumers lined up at 6 a.m. in excitement for the grand opening. A special thanks was given to Bentonville, Arkansas for taking a chance on Devine and giving us this store.

“It’s a blessing to be a part of history here in Devine, TX,” store manager Nelda Rodriguez said.

Walmart will feature many sections, including grocery, personal hygiene, clothing, and electronics. The store will also provide many DHS students with job opportunities.

“It’s very different working at Walmart,” senior CJ Patteson said. “There are a lot of nice people and I get a lot of compliments.”

Students have also talk of the many benefits to working at Walmart.

“It’s way easier to work here than a fast food restaurant,” junior Ruby Castro said. The paycheck is better and the workplace is nicer.”

This Walmart also features a Subway, so students are able to go get lunch not only from the deli, but from the popular sandwich shop. This can cut down traffic at other restaurants and provide Walmart with more customers. Walmart will be a great place for students as well as the community to “Save More and Live Better”.