The Cobra Kai Story Never Dies

And We Are Here For It

Gabriella Mares

Jiselle Corral shares a photo of her favorite Cobra Kai character, Hawk.

Gabriella Mares, Contributing Journalist

If you have Netflix but don’t know what to watch, I recommend watching Cobra Kai. 

“I love this show. It was really good. I recommend it. My favorite character is Hawk. He was getting bullied and joined Cobra Kai to learn how to defend himself. He’s also funny looking, so it makes me laugh,” sophomore Jiselle Corral said. 

Corral makes a good point because the show is entertaining and hilarious.

Cobra Kai is a show based on the 1980s Karate Kid movie saga. The show picks up with midlife Daniel LaRusso and Johnny Laurence, who now have teenagers of their own. 

Sophomore Shayne Scarborough recommends jumping into Cobra Kai.

Johnny reopens Cobra Kai but finds himself training a collection of “weird kids,” unlike those he trained with as a teenager taking over the valley.

Daniel finds out and doesn’t like it and reopens Miyagi Do. The rest, you know, is history.

All original actors make appearances and bring spice to the show.

Johnny’s former sensei, Kreese, returns to take control of Cobra Kai and return it to its former bullying glory. That leaves Johnny forming a new dojo– Eagle Fang.

Even though Johnny and Daniel still don’t like each other, they have to team up to get rid of Kreese. Despite being former enemies, Johnny and Daniel end up combining their students and teaching styles. They have many differences but manage to get along—most of the time. The best moments in the show result from the two senseis working to combine their dojos.

Cobra Kai attracts teenagers and parents alike.

Gabriella Mares and Jiselle Corral prepare to battle Cobra Kai and Miyagi-Do style.

“I like that they end up getting along, they have some arguments, but they end up being friends again,” DHS middle schooler Sophia Mares said. 

Older generations are enjoying revisiting this 1980s karate story. “Wax on. Wax off”… it’s all there.

“I always loved the Karate Kid movies, so now that the show has Johnny’s and Daniel’s kids, I get to watch it with my kids. It’s pretty hilarious, and the writing is brilliant. I love how they’ve woven in the old storylines. The fact that all of the original actors have returned is amazing, ” DHS teacher Alejandra Valdez said.

“And now we know Johnny was a good guy all along,” Valdez added.

This show is chaotic, but it is also very entertaining. Right now, there are four seasons out, and fans are looking forward to season five. 

Expect season five to drop this December or early January 2023. 

That gives you time to get started. Cobra Kai is a show you can enjoy with your family. However, many people recommend watching the Karate Kid movies first to get the whole experience. So choose a karate dojo and sit back and watch.

Who knows? You may even earn brownie points from your Gen X parents. Or teachers.