The 2022 Oscar Nominees Reviewed

A look at a screenshot of the Oscars.org website after casting a vote for the first ever Fan Favorite movie. Votes closes on March 3.

Mia Hernandez, News Writer

2022 Oscar nominations were announced last Tuesday and many people are excited about this year’s nominees. Fans revel in seeing their favorite actors. and actresses win Oscars for their performances on films. Some of this year’s Lead Role nominees include Andrew Garfield (tick, tick, BOOM!), Will Smith (King Richard), Denzel Washington (The Tragedy of Macbeth), Kristen Stewert (Spencer), and Olivia Coleman (The Lost Daughter). A complete list of nominees is found at https://www.oscars.org.

DHS students are very excited to see these and many more on this list. 

“I’m really glad that Andrew Garfield is one of the nominees, he did a really great job in tick, tick, BOOM!, and I hope he wins,” sophomore Riley Ramirez said. 

Marvel fans are most excited to see that Spider-Man: No Way Home and Shang-Chi and The Legends of the Ten Rings are nominees for the Visual Effects category alongside Free Guy, Dune, and No Time to Die. Animated Feature Film nominees include, Encanto, Luca, Flee, Raya and The Last Dragon, and The Mitchells vs. the Machine.

Best picture nominees are Belfast, Coda, Don’t Look Up, Drive My Car, Dune, King Richard, Licorice Pizza, Nightmare Alley, Power of the Dog, and West Side Story. 

Senior Hayden Dubose stops by to discuss fan favorite voting for the first-ever Oscar Fan Favorite movie. (DHS Journalism Photo)

Sophomore Iris Stricker has a movie in mind that didn’t make the list. “One movie I wish made it on the roster was After We Fell. I never read books, but I love movies, so maybe someday I will read the books. I think people overlook the movies. Some parts here and there are bad, but they’re still good. But by the movies on the (Oscar) nominee’s list, I can tell why it didn’t make it.” 

For the first time, the AMPAS has announced that fans can vote for their favorite movie of 2021. Voting will close on March 3. Fans can vote on Twitter using the #OscarsFanFavorite hashtag or by casting a ballot on the Oscars Fan Favorite website https://oscarsfanfavorite.com/. Entries will also enter a sweepstake to win a ticket to the Oscars. The winning movie of the Fan Favorite Film of the Year will be announced live during the 2022 Oscar Ceremony on March 27.

“I would definitely vote for Spider-Man: No Way Home, it’s definitely one of the best Marvel movies that came out in a long time,” senior Hayden Dubose said, “the collaboration of Andrew Garfield, Tom Holland, Tobey Maguire was amazing, they brought Tom Holland to life as an actor, because the emotion they finally put in, which his other movies lack.”

This year the Oscars will be hosted by Regina Hall, Wanda Sykes, and Amy Schumer. The last time there were 3 hosts was 35 years ago in 1987. The only time there were multiple women who hosted was 45 years ago in 1977.