Wrapping presents for head-start students in Devine, Lytle, Natalia

NHS members earn community service hours at Chaparral Ford

Students wrapping present at Chaparral Ford.

Madison Mata, Managing Editor

In hopes to make Christmas brighter for everyone, members of the National Honor Society (NHS) volunteered to help wrap presents donated by Chaparral Ford to the head-start programs of Devine, Lytle and Natalia to be given to the students on Dec. 18.

“My dad works at Chaparral Ford and he told me about the gift wrapping,” junior Analea Brooks said. “I was happy to go help because when I was in head-start, I really looked forward to getting presents at school. It brought back a lot of good memories for me.”

This year, Chaparral Ford is expecting 300 students to visit Santa at their dealership to receive a gift wrapped and labeled with their name on it.

“This year, the girls will receive a Super Hero Barbie, and the boys will receive a Super Hero Transformer,” Chaparral Ford Administrative Assistant Melissa Morris said. “After the kids receive their gifts, we give them cookies and punch, along with a candy cane to go. It is always a pleasure to see the children’s reactions as they open their gifts.”

NHS members spent between two to four hours wrapping gifts, which counts towards the 15 hours of community service required by the NHS organization.

“I think doing community service is a good way to build character,” Brooks said. “I’ve also realized finding more ways to help my community is more rewarding and enjoyable than sitting and doing nothing.”

National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) members were also invited to volunteer to complete their required community service hours.

“I had fun helping out Ford to give Devine, Natalia and Lytle head-start students a fun Christmas experience,” eighth-grader Diego Gerlach said. “My friends and I also might have helped out a few kids who might not have gotten a Christmas present this year if it wasn’t for Chaparral Ford.”

Chaparral Ford has been donating gifts to the head-start programs for 21 years.

“My mom encouraged me to wrap presents at Ford for community service hours, and I’ve gone every year since seventh grade,” sophomore Aleyna Gerlach said. “I’ve always looked forward to going because I’m able to be a part of a good cause, but this year I got sick and couldn’t go. I was devastated that I couldn’t go but happy my brother got to experience and help out this year.”