Basically Brooke

Brooke Sumners, Editor-in-Chief

Have you ever read a book or seen a movie that you were so into, that after you finished it, you didn’t know what to do with yourself? You just sat there, hesitant to start a new story because you weren’t ready to let go of the last one and all the characters and adventures that came with it. That, my friends, is usually referred to as a “book hangover”.  I’ve experienced this feeling quite often, but nothing could prepare me for the biggest one of them all: finishing high school.

You see, high school is its own version of one of those stories. When I stepped into these halls four years ago, I stepped into a new story. There was good, there was bad; and like any good story, there was some drama. I, of course, was the heroin of my own story; however, everyone always is. Each and every one of us leads our own tale, and somehow, somewhere, most of ours intersect. Now, this particular one is about to come to an end, and while our class has plenty of plans, there’s still that feeling of not knowing what to do now.

I cannot speak for everyone, but while I know there is more to come and I am beyond excited to experience said things, I am also hesitant to close the cover on my life as it is now. Why? Because I’m attached to it, just like I am my favorite book series. The problem with not being able to move on, however, means that you’ll never be able to experience anything better. Sure, I’ve enjoyed the majority of my time here, made friends, and had some of the best times of my life; but the key word in that sentence is some. Some means there’s more to come, and if you don’t give yourself that chance, you may just miss out on the best story yet.

So while it has been a pleasure and a blessing to serve as editor-in-chief of this newspaper and spend these last four years among my fellow Warhorses and Arabians, it is time for me to say goodbye. I’ve got a new tale ahead of me, and while this one was amazing, I can’t afford to get hung up on it; I will, however, always remember and cherish it, and use the lessons I learned here to write my new story. Thank you to all that have made that possible, because writing stories, especially my own, is all I’ve ever dreamed of doing, and all I will continue to do.