Jenny’s Journal

Jennifer Wooldridge, Editor-in-Chief

My favorite story of all time is Peter Pan. The idea of escaping reality and maintaining my youth is this fabulous concept that I’ve always held in my heart. Being a teenager has been my life for the last five years and I lost myself in the Neverland that is my teenage years. Then I realized, I’m becoming an adult and there’s no Peter Pan flying into my life to save me.

I’ve heard that this stage in life is the teenage limbo. A time where you still consider yourself a teenager, but you are technically an adult. You want to discuss band members and fashion, but are slowly turning your interests to education and the real world. It’s not like you can choose a side because both of them are a part of you. You’re waiting for a sign to show you which age group defines you now.

Being a teenager has been a defining point and has been an important chapter of my life. The problems that plague teenager’s lives are the things I understand and can relate to. Throw a boy problem my way and I’ll have it solved in half an hour. Unfortunately to the rest of the world, the “adult” problems that I’m facing now as an incoming university student, I don’t understand or relate to them yet.

My years of living in the same small town have made me incredibly unable to adapt to new environments. New school, new house, new friends, new haircut, throw me in the pit of fire and I’ll struggle to make it out unscathed. When move-in time comes for university, I hope that I can thrive in this new “adult” world. I’m going to have to take care of myself. I signed my deposit for my dorm last month. I am going to get taxes taken out of my paycheck and will have to file next year.

While there may technically still be a teen attached to the end of my age, my current life situation is telling me that adult is more fitting. And while I want to delay as long as I can, I know that I can’t wait out the inevitable much longer. It’s time to get out of the teenager limbo and choose a side.

There are plenty of other people in the same situation as me. And I know they’re making decisions like I am; where you have to figure out whether your teenage life or your adult life fit you more. It’s going to take some self-reflection, so break out the Nutella and your trusty notebook before you start. Just know I’ll be the lady at my 50th high school reunion still talking about Harry Potter and Divergent.