Seniors advance to state

Allyson Taylor, Staff Writer

This year four Arabian powerlifters advanced to the State meet that took place on Mar. 20, in Corpus Christi. Seniors Aaliyah Terrazas and Jeanette Rios, and sophomores Arsci Lopez, and Nayeli Saldana worked their hardest this season to reach their goal in advancing to the state meet.

Placing second at the regional meet to advance to State for her third time in her high school career, senior Aaliyah Terrazas has done exceptionally well this powerlifting season. Bringing home third place with lifts of 

“Although I knew I could have placed higher at the state meet, taking home third place is a pretty big deal. Going to state has been my ultimate goal every season and I have done just that each year, so to advance my senior year making it my third run at state is bittersweet,” Terrazas said. “I couldn’t be any more thankful for the support system of my coaches and teammates who pushed me to get to this point. It was a great way to end my high school powerlifting career.” 

Placing fifth as a sophomore, Lopez has two more years left of high school to set and accomplish her goals. 

“With the way the season ended last year due to COVID, I am grateful that we were able to have a full season. Going to state this year was an awesome experience that I hope to relive the next two years,” Lopez said. “I plan to continue to work harder and get better to reach the goals I have set for myself over the next two years of high school.”