The student news site of Devine High School

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

Stop the texts, stop the wrecks

The ring of a phone signaling a text message, two eyes looking down to read and reply, then suddenly the sickening crunch of metal being crushed like a potato chip. These are the fatal sights and sounds of someone making the decision to text and drive.

“ I feel texting while driving is dangerous, not just for yourself but also for others drivers on the road.” sophomore Kourtney Martinez said.

When a person texts and drives they are four times more likely to be in an automobile accident. Many students don’t understand the severity of texting and driving. When one becomes distracted while driving their reaction time becomes that of a 70 year-old.

If a car is driving at 55mph and the driver looks down at their phone for 5 seconds it’s like driving the length of a football field completely blind. That along with a teenager’s reaction time changing so drastically is the perfect formula for a disaster.

“Two of my friends were hit by an18-wheeler because they were texting while driving a delivery truck,” sophomore Clark Toalson said. “Unfortunately neither of my friends survived the accident.”

Each year, 21% of fatal car crashes involving teens between the ages of 16 and 19 were the result of phone usage. This result is expected to grow as much as 4% a year.

“Texting and driving is dangerous,” junior Danielle Grayson said. “Your actions have consequences for everyone, including yourself.”