The student news site of Devine High School

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

Crime Stoppers goes to San Antonio for conference

The Devine Crime Stoppers will be attending the 18th annual Texas Crime Stoppers Conference in San Antonio on Monday February 11th. They will be returning Wednesday February 13th at noon.  On Tuesday the Crime Stoppers will be holding an award banquet and end the evening with a dance.

Each Crime Stopper member is eligible for awards such as Campus Coordinator of the year, Campus Board Member of the year, and Joe Martino School Administrator of the year.

They are also allowed to enter competitions such as radio, television, newsprint, best website, traveling trophy, poster contests, and students can compete for Teen Ambassadors. These competitions allow for students to develop and present their skills in media and public relations.

During the conference there will be several speakers covering topics such as sexting, bullying, date rape, record keeping, gangs, identity theft, school safety and other topics that are related to campus crime, according to the Texas Crime Stoppers.

These speakers will be teaching ways to avoid violent crime on campus and will teach them how to report any crime they might see. They will also teach the students how to stand up for themselves against bullying in a non-violent way.

The students attending are seniors Victoria Guzman (president), Samantha Arocha (vice president), Steven Sartuche (treasurer), juniors Danielle Guerero (member), Ruben Ballestros (member), Victoria R. Hernandez (member) and Keisha Flores (historian).