The student news site of Devine High School

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

FFA heads to Indianapolis

The empty conference room, nervous silence, and butterflies in his stomach were all senior Christian Tumbarello could think about as he and his partner, junior Stephanie Barnett waited to give their science presentation. This was what they had been preparing for all summer; the competition was about to begin.

Pictured are junior Stephanie Barnett and senior Christian Tumberello. “It was a lot of fun traveling to Indiana and competing nationally,” Christian said.

“I was really nervous before the competition,” Christian said. “It was nerve-racking minutes before we went inside the presentation room.”

The FFA science national candidates had to earn their way to Indianapolis through sponsorships. They had to go around town and ask different businesses if they would like to donate to the FFA science fair trip. This was a way for students to connect with the community and work for what they wanted.

“It felt really good having the community back us up,” Christian said. “I was touched at how many of the local businesses supported the FFA and our science presentation.”

Christian and Stephanie’s project was all about which desiccant (dry oil, sawdust, etc.) picked up fluids (motor oil, etc.) the fastest.

“I had a lot of fun doing this project. It was a rewarding experience and I hope to go again,” Stephanie said.

The National FFA Agriscience Fair is a competition for FFA members who are interested in the science and technology of agriculture. It is held each year during the National FFA Convention. Sophomores Michaela Bean and Clark Toalson placed second in their division, Alyssa Schmidt placed sixth in her division and Christian and Stephanie placed third in their division.

“I can’t thank our sponsors enough for donating supplies, money for our travel, and time to us. I really appreciate everything they’ve done for us,” Christian said.