The student news site of Devine High School

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

Saving lives, one donation at a time

Junior Adriana Thompson prepares to donate blood.

In hindsight, it may not seem like a big deal, but donating blood does make a difference; it saves lives. On Oct. 12, Campus Crime Stoppers hosted their annual blood drive which proved to be successful with 69 donations and 14 tries.

“It is an honor to be in a community that cares so much about eachother that they are wlling to help a stranger by donating their blood.” Officer Eva Smith said.

The high school has the Red Cord Program which recognizes students by giving them a red cord at graduation for their desire and commitment for providing lifesaving donations,  For one to be eligible to receive a red cord, they must donate six times during their high school career. If that is not enough incentive to donate, know that blood donations do save lives. According to America’s Blood Centers, someone needs blood every two seconds and without a steady flow of blood donations, lives could not be sustained.  One pint of blood saves three lives and each donation is one pint.  With 69 donations, the DHS blood drive was able to save 207 lives.

“Even though the needle hurt at first, it felt good to know that my blood could save a life,” junior Cecilia Garza said.

To be eligible to donate, one must be healthy, weigh at least 110 pounds and must be at least 16 years of age.

“It felt good to help other people by doing something so simple like donating blood,” junior Adriana Thompson said.