The student news site of Devine High School

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

Energy4Me High School STEM Event

Senior Greg Sanchez using multiple straws taped together to simulate how oil is removed from the ground.

On Wednesday, October 10, a few students had the opportunity to attend a STEM event during the Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition (ATCE). They were involved in things such as sipping chocolate from a straw to impersonate an oil rig pump, to seeing the different types of rock the rigs have to go through.

“It’s a great opportunity to learn more about the oil and gas industry,” junior Scott Wilson said.

Throughout the day students enjoyed a wide variety of presentations, activities, and once in a lifetime learning experiences.

“I had a great time learning about all the different career choices the oil industry has to offer,” junior William Nicholas said.

The student’s day consisted of two hours worth of hands-on activities, a tour throughout the state-of-the-art technology exhibits, to lunch with industry professionals.

The hands-on activities showed the students in a fun and explorative way how the oil industry works.

“The hands on activities were by far one of the more fun parts of the convention,” Scott said.

During the tour, the students were involved in a scavenger hunt which helped students learn more about the oil industry. Students were given presentations to better understand the aspects of drilling, pumping, and manufacturing oil and gas.

“The scavenger hunt helped me tremendously in learning about oil,” Scott said.

Overall the students were involved in many amazing things and some students at may very well fulfill a career in the oil and gas industry.