The student news site of Devine High School

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

Foreign exchange program brings student to DHS

Paul Malmache and Seth Levy

Imagine going to school in one country, then suddenly attend ing school in a foreign coun- try. Imagine what life would be like without family and friends. Imagine living with complete strangers. For one junior, these thoughts became reality. This year Paul Malmanche a junior from France will be attending school here.

“It is much hotter here but I am liking it so far,” Malmanche said.

In order for a French student to qualify they must be between the ages of 15-18 years of age. Students must have at least a 2.75 GPA for a full academic year. Malmanche chose to become a foreign exchange student because he said it would help with his high school degree, and getting into a University. He chose to come to America because he and some of his classmates went on a field trip to Vermont for two weeks, and he really enjoyed it.

Malmanche is staying with sophomore Seth Levy, and his family.

“Paul is really cool and fun to be around,” Levy said.

The Levy’s became the host family for Malmanche after getting a random phone call from the foreign

exchange agency. They asked if they wanted to be the host family for Malmanche. They said yes, and now he is five weeks into his American high school career.

Malmanche and Levy have a special relationship because both of them love the game of basketball.

“I believe the foreign exchange agency called my family because they knew we both loved the game of basketball,” Levy said.

Levy has been playing basketball since he was a toddler. While Malmanche, has grown up watching the French team practice and play. Malmanche got a chance to see Tony Parker, a San Antonio Spurs player, at a practice when Malmanche was young.

“Tony is a real role model in my life and I strive to get better because of him,” Malmanche said.

In the five weeks Malmanche as been here, he has experienced and seen a lot. The high-spirited pep-rallies, the stampede of Warhorse football to the fighting Arabian volleyball team, Malmanche has been able to experience some of the traditions at DHS.