Ricord competes in All-Star game

Amanda Wilson, Editor in Chief

The Texas All Star Football game is known for being a highly anticipated game where the best football players from all over the state of Texas gather to play each other. On Jan. 7, 2017 senior Dillon Ricord had the opportunity to compete in their game at the Alamo Dome.

“I found out that I was going to be playing in the All-Star game in December,” Ricord said. “Coach Quiseberry came and showed me an email that had the good news.”

For this game, they separate the boys into two teams, the East and the West. Dillon played for the West. Once the teams were determined, they were able to hold practices.

“To prepare for the game we practiced the week before Monday thru Friday from 5:30- 7 p.m.,” Ricord said. “At practices we worked on reads and football formations.”

During the game, Ricord ran the ball for a touchdown. It wasn’t originally supposed to work the way it did, but it ended up working out.

“The actual play was a Quarterback sneak but the play was not executed properly so I had to improvise and run the ball,” Ricord said.

The West lost 43-29. Ricord found the game to be different from the games he has played in the past.

“Since everyone there was so talented, the game was at a very fast pace,” Ricord said. “Every little thing was so much quicker than the games we played in season for high school.”

Those who attended the game had the chance to watch it up close and personal.

“Getting to watch the All-Star game was fun because I got to see the top performers in football from the state of Texas,” senior Korin Stehle said. “I think Dillon did good with the chances that he got and it was cool to see him play on a different field and in a different environment for a very talented team.”

The game was also televised and a lot of community members were able to watch Ricord play from the comfort of their own home.

Only a small percentage of Texas football players are invited to play in this game, so being invited to participate in this game is an honor.

“The best part about having the opportunity of playing in this game was hanging out with a bunch of new guys, making some friends, and having the chance to play football one last time,” Ricord said.