The student news site of Devine High School

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

Shaping up for the season

Athletes across the state of Texas geared up on August 5 for annual two-a-days practices. Devine’s athletes went to work in hopes of carrying on the tradition of success into the 2013 season.

This year, the football team took the field with more than winning in mind.

“We’ve been working hard on learning our new offense and preparing ourselves mentally and physically for this season. However, we’ve been working even harder on becoming a family and playing like one too,” junior Hunter Dubose said.

The cross country team hit the ground running with a fierce workout routine.

“Our workout consists of three to five miles a day and lifting weights with some ab workouts to keep our cores strong,” sophomore Lindsey Fuentes said.

The Arabian volleyball team started this season with a new head coach and a clean slate.

“This year, we’ve been preparing a little differently than last year. Coach McIver came in with a new offense she wanted to run, so we’re working on learning that as well as polishing our basic skills,” junior Alyssa Schmidt said. “We’re excited to begin this season and hope to be as successful as we were last year.”

With this hope and two-a-day practices under their belt, the teams are ready for the season.

“Two-a-days gets you in shape for the season. There’s no way a football player, or any athlete, for that matter, could go out and play hard without being in shape in this day and time.” Athletic director Chad Quisenberry said.