The student news site of Devine High School

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

Arabian powerlifters qualify for State

This past weekend, the Arabian powerlifters traveled to compete in the regional powerlifting meet. Exceeding their state qualifications, four of the Arabian powerlifters advanced to the state meet. From their impressive regional performance, seniors Johnell Obaya and Jasmine Leal, junior Victoria Hernandez and sophomore Shelby Carrillo all qualified for the state meet on March 15.

“The goal last year was three state qualifiers and this year, our goal was one more than last year,” powerlifting coach Paul Gomez said. “We reached our goal as a team.”

Preparing for the state meet is no different than preparing for any other meet. The athletes need to make sure they make their weight class and try to bump up their total weight lifted.

“Going to the state meet doesn’t change our normal routine,” Gomez said. “We try to keep them in the same routine, we try to take it as any other meet.”

The four Arabian powerlifters that qualified for state qualified with totals of; senior Johnell Obaya with 620 pounds in the 105 weight class, senior Jasmine Leal with 860 pounds in the 220+ weight class, junior Victoria M. Hernandez with 640 pounds in the 114 weight class and sophomore Shelby Carrillo with 740 pounds(any athlete with 740 pounds or more automatically qualifies for state).

“I’m proud to have these girls as powerlifters,”Gomez said. “I can’t wait to see what happens at the statemeet.”