The student news site of Devine High School

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

Warhorses Prepare For Playoffs

With a clinched playoff spot, the Warhorse basketball team continues to play well and look very strong in district competition. Sitting in second place, with only one district ball game left to play, they will be headed into the playoffs for the first time since 2008.

“This has been a really special season for us and Coach Beaty,” Junior Pat Mares said. “At the start of the season, he told us we had a chance to do some really good things. Now we’re sitting in second place, headed into the playoffs. We’re hoping to represent the town of Devine well. Our goal is to make it out of the first round.”

In the second round of district, the Warhorses took down Lytle, Carrizo Springs, and Crystal City. Dropping a tough game to Hondo here at home. With one game left against Pearsall, the boys are headed into the playoffs on a streak of good play. The first round playoff is scheduled for February 19th in Three Rivers.

“The whole team is beyond excited for the opportunity,” Senior Clayton Cox said. “It’s the first time we’ve made the playoffs as a group, not to mention it’s been five years since Devine has made the playoffs in basketball. It’s something other than football, and we want to represent ourselves.”