The student news site of Devine High School

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

Warhorses take second in Devine Tournament

Despite of a 4-8 record, the Warhorse basketball team has competed well against very tough competition early in the season. A slow start was expected due to football season, but the young team is showing signs of a turn-around for when district starts.

“We’ve played some really talented teams already this year,” Clayton Cox said. “The transition from football to basketball is hard for all of us. Despite the tough schedule, we’ve done some really good things so far. We’re excited for the chance to make the playoff’s, it’s been a while for Devine basketball. Hopefully we’re the team that can do it.”

The Warhorses competed in the annual Christmas tournament December 13-15. They faced off against the Blanco Panthers, Bandera Bulldogs, Pleasanton Eagles, and the Jourdanton Indians. They left with two wins against Pleasanton and Jourdanton, losing two tough games against Blanco and Bandera. Due to the ‘Round Robin’ set up of tournament play, the Warhorses ended up in second place with their record and scores. Clayton Cox was also named to the All-Tournament team.The Warhorses play in Navarro tonight, scores are not available due to time of press.

“We played really well in our tournament, even though we lost two games,” Pat Mares said. “We had the lead in both games but lost it in the last two minutes. It’s early in the season. As we progress, we should be able to close out the long, tough games.”