The student news site of Devine High School

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

The Warhorse

Warhorses leave their legacy with another winning season

The Warhorses are ranked fifth in the region. They’re 8-1, and went 4-0 in district. They have outscored their opponents by nearly 35 points, and have put a total of 4303 total yards, 3821 of those on the ground, which leads the state.

“Being ranked is something you have to work for. But it’s also something you can’t let in the back of your head,” senior Dillon Wofford said. “When you’re at the top, people try to knock you off. But we like being the hunted. It gives us a reputation.”

The only team left standing in the way of the Warhorses gold ball, the rival Hondo Owls. The Horses traveled to Barry Stadium, and beat the Owls in an exciting game 14-10 in front of 8,000 people, scoring a touchdown in the last three seconds of the game. Claiming the district championship three years in a row, and bringing the gold ball back to the trophy case.

“All the hard work paid off. Thirteen weeks of sweat and hard work, for the chance to play for 48 minutes to get the district championship,” senior Jordan Fraga said. “There’s honestly no better feeling. We weren’t sharing this year, we worked too hard and too long to share. I couldn’t ask for better teammates.”

The 2012 edition of the Warhorses were headed into the playoffs for the eleventh year in a row. In other words, the last time Devine missed the playoffs, the senior class of 2013 was in first grade. They faced off with the Orange Grove Bulldogs for the Bi-District Championship at Mata Memorial Stadium, losing 49-0. Their season would come to an end with a record of 9-2, and the title of District Champs.