Timeless Holiday Tunes

Autumn Copeland, News Writer

One aspect of the holidays that nobody can escape is Christmas music. It is the time of year when we start to hear the familiar chimes and jingle bells of the holiday tunes we know so well. According to Spotify’s head of global culture and trends communication, Shannon Cook, “Listeners still love the classics year after year, but are also embracing the newer music that comes along.” 

Here are some of the best Christmas songs- older and current. 

“White Christmas” by Bing Crosby is not only the biggest-selling Christmas song with 50 million copies sold, but it is also the biggest-selling single of all time. This classic was released in 1942 and was featured in the movie White Christmas.

“Christmas Time is Here” by Vince Guaraldi Trio, from A Charlie Brown Christmas, leaves its listener with a feeling of nostalgia as they reminisce about a favorite childhood cartoon. The melancholy sound accompanied by a children’s choir is the perfect concoction to get you in your holiday feels. 

Judy Garland’s “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” illuminates the feeling of Christmas to a tee. The optimistic lyrics and comforting melody really make you want to snuggle up next to the fireplace with some hot cocoa. 

“Jingle Bell Rock” by Bobby Helms is one of those songs everyone knows the lyrics to. The lyrics may not always make sense, such as “jingle horse” and “Jingle Bell Square”, but the hints of rock and roll in the song make it catchy and compensate for the odd lyricism. 

Despite its tone of heartbreak and loneliness, “Last Christmas” by Wham! is able to emanate a feeling of Christmas cheer and is a holiday favorite for most. The song has been covered by many different artists such as Taylor Swift, the Japanese rock band “Boris”, and Jimmy Eat World.

Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas Is You” is the most-played holiday song of all time. This modern classic is a wonderful mix of positive lyrics and a positive sound. “All I Want for Christmas Is You” is the song you can hear being played wherever you go once December 1st comes around. 

Holiday spirits are high at DHS as we get closer to Christmas break. Teachers have even begun to play Christmas music in their classrooms, making students feel more and more festive.

“My favorite Christmas song is “All I Want for Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey”, said junior Raynee Allen. “It is really catchy and fun to sing.”

Get in the holiday spirit by exploring playlists on Spotify, Apple, or even YouTube. Happy Holiday break!